Monday, June 28, 2010

Pueblo, CO to Carthage, MO







Gone are the bright blue skies and striking scenery. We have been shackled by a cruel wind from the east and punishing temperatures. Yes Dorothy, we're talking about Kansas. Western Kansas was a waste of eyesight and Dodge City with it's bazillion cow feeder lots and a temperature of 102 was an affront to the olfactory glands. As we moved eastward the scenery improved a bit starting to look more like home. The area around Chanute was especially nice. Today we made it to Missouri. We are excited to be less than 500 miles from home and hope to return to Owensboro within the week.

I am not making the miles I thought I would despite being on the road at sunrise and putting in a solid 6 hours of riding each day. The wind has really gotten on my last nerve. And yes, the forecast for the next few days in Missouri, pronounced misery, is 10 to 12 mph wind from the east north east. Thank goodness the end is in sight.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the call. We missed you. We look forward to your homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as though your vacation adventure is something you will enjoy HAVING done for years to come. Quite an ambitious feat! We enjoy following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colby & Elise,
    I've really enjoyed following you two. Thanks so much for the card - I couldn't believe you took time to send me one! It was much appreciated! You are both in my prayers for a safe trip home. It will be good to see you again. ~K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow; I can't believe that you are already through Kansas. Seems you made pretty good time there. I can tell that you already miss the mountains. Guess you will go ahead and shoot for Virginia so you can play with the Appalachians for a week or so! Have you thought about how little these hills are going to seem to you on J. Hayden's white route? Be safe and God speed. david

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do miss you Colby. I am guessing that you have become so thin that punching a hole in the wind is taking a greater effort. There probably is a math equation that can figure out weight to wind ratio. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're getting close to home. Most of us go on trips in a closed car and our senses never get exposed to all that you have. What an experience, and what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so enjoyed watching you progress through this adventure. I hope the folks around Chanute were kind to you. By now you are probably approaching home. Be safe, I look forward to hearing all about your trip.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, hell, Dorothy are you stuck in Missouri?

    ReplyDelete