Sunday, June 6, 2010

Carson City, NV to Ely, NV


We have now traveled from near paradise to the land that time forgot....if you don't have Verizon cell service. For the past few days there was no TV and only carriers on the radio. Thank goodness for John Wayne videos and XM radio. (Sat dish wouldn't work, too close to mountain)

On Thursday I made my first century ride, actually 113 miles. As I rode along between Fallon and Austin I was entertained by the Navy top guns out dog-fighting.

I spotted a rattlesnake in the highway yesterday(dead of course) ,but I didn't have anything to cut the rattles off. I put some scissors in my pack today but there were no rattlers to be found today.

The route I am following is the old pony express route. When they were hiring riders they posted the following ad

Wanted: Young skinny,wiry fellows not over 18. Must be expert rider willing to risk life daily.Orphans preferred. $25 per week.

Most of the Indian trouble the riders had was in Nevada and I think I know why. The Indians were so mad at having to live in such a desolate place they took their anger out on anyone they could find. Lucky for me they are gone.

There are many ruins from the 1860's on this route. In addition to pony express stops I have also seen a Butterfield stage stop and the Stokes Castle.

The Butterfield stage stop consisted of walls of stacked rock and would have had a willow roof. This stop was on the Salt Lake City to Genoa, NV route. It opened in 1861 and closed in 1869 a victim of the transcontinental railroad.

The Stokes Castle was built in 1896 for Ansom Stokes a prominent mine developer and railroad magnate from the east. He built it as a summer home for his sons. It had 3 floors each with plate glass windows and fireplaces. There were balconies and a roof top terrace. They had the most modern plumbing of the day and it was sumptuously furnished. They lived there for 2 months in 1897 and then never returned. It has been unoccupied ever since, Weird huh?

Next stop Utah!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Great scenery and a history lesson to boot. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you find a rattler soon! Be safe:)

    jake t.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would seem all is going as expected. Pictures are great. If you are not too tired at the end of the day could you do a little more updating on your days work? Leave the snakes in Nevada! david

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure! It's nice to be able to follow you. I made it through my surgery and am actually doing well. Steve has been great to me and am sure Elise is great to you! Glad you made it unscathed on the mountain. Ah, the power of prayer! Blessings on the rest of your ride. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember put the powder in your shorts, no snorting the Monkey Butt Powder.
    Tuesday/Thursday rides just aren't the same.

    Your house is still standing, no new drive throughs.

    Keep up the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish some of you Tues./Thurs. guys could be here with me tomorrow...5500ft to climb in 19 miles. Maybe I should be snorting something !

    ReplyDelete