Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Torrey, UT to Blanding, UT (almost)


















Made 87 miles yesterday from Torrey to past Hanksville UT. We both agreed that Capital Reef National Park, just past Torrey a bit, was the prettiest of all the parks we've seen so far. The last part of the ride was desending through deep narrow sandstone canyons. The camera could not do justice to them but we tried anyhow.



This morning I started near Hite. We were still in the deep sandstone canyon and in the early morning it was so quiet it almost hurt my ears. I crossed the Colorado River and began to climb, and climb, and climb. I climbed almost the whole 55 miles I rode today. The grades varied from gentle to 10 per cent. Utah's catch phrase is "life elevated". I think I see why.



The sag lady will drop me where I left off today and I will enjoy more climbing to Monticello I hope.



Job opportunity- The sag lady signed on for 2500 miles and today we realized that it was actually going to be slightly more than 2800 . So... I will be needing a replacement over in Missouri somewhere. If interested...

7 comments:

  1. Pics are beautiful. Hope all is going well.
    Colby, I read in local obits that your uncle Bill Knott passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will bring big blue if I don't have a job and let the Sag Lady go home to sag. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colorado is just around the bend...God's peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome creation you are seeing. Thanks for sharing with us.

    God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just have to pay the SAG lady more to stay on longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Colby, those skinny RAAM guys are doing like 3000 miles in 8 or 9 days. Why aren't you home yet, you have been gone longer that that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you imagine this trip in a covered wagon with horses and no pavement! Pictures are a marvel! Keep those amateur photographs coming. Colby, what was that "wet spot" on the road that I zoomed, in the valley far below? Spilt your water bottle, right? Be safe. David

    ReplyDelete