Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ely, NV to Cedar City, UT







Today was great...I took the day off! I had ridden for 11 straight days and needed a break before a difficult climb tomorrow. I have ridden 782 miles so far averaging 71 miles a day. That will decrease dramatically with the terrain I am in now. Once again we will be without cell/internet service for extended periods so the blog will languish.






Most of the section I have just completed was climb,summit, descend, ride immense valleys lined with sagebrush and scrub cedars, then repeat over and over ad nauseum. On these roads you could ride for 75 miles without ever seeing any homes or businesses and maybe get passed by a car once an hour.




On Sunday afternoon after I had finished my ride we went to Great Basin National Park. We took the scenic drive to the top of Wheeler Peak. It was 94 degrees when we started and by the time we got to the top it was 62 degrees. Felt great and had wonderful views.




Today we went on a reconnaissance mission for tomorrows ride and visited Cedar Breaks National Monument. I almost wish I had not seen the mountain I have to climb, but the red rock formations were stunning.
Will post again in few days when we are over the moutain and have service again.

6 comments:

  1. Spectacular photos! We're still thinking of you back home and saying prayers for a wondrous journey that it really looks like you are having. Hello to Elise too.... safe journey up the mountain! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking! You do a great commentary, I thoroughly enjoy your style. Remember, what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colby you need to write more detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time so far and I love the pictures. I am sure you miss our rides where the comments would be something like:
    Was going to ride today but it rained again and I went to the healthpark, rode with Tim and Francisco and listened to them endlessly talk about soccer.
    How has the nutrition intake been? Are you able to eat enough to keep up with what you are burning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had any problems with intake.Elise has the camper stuffed with all manner of foodstuff and is never far away.

    ReplyDelete