Saturday, May 29, 2010

Eastbound!


Left Sparks NV about noon Friday. I-80 through Donner Pass was open. The roads were mainly dry but there was still a lot of snow on everything else. We made it to our campground in Vallejo and promptly ran into a fellow camper that was a UK grad. After chatting for a few Elise (Jean) and I went to make the obligatory visit to my mom and sister in Oakland. After a pleasant visit we returned to Vallejo to start preparation for departure eastbound. We were wore out so that didn't go very far. Saturday morning we felt confident on arrangements for the day until we found out the campground in Sacramento were we had planned on staying for 1 night was charging a 3 day minimum and everything else was full due to state fair and jazz weekend. OK go to plan B. Found a place in Placerville just past Sacramento. Alright now, just drive down to the ferry....surprise! They are having a street festival today on the street to the ferry. With the trailer in tow on narrow city streets we couldn't very well go looking for alternate routes so we decided to launch just up from the ferry. Looked for a place to pull over but the only available space was a bus stop so we did a comedy routine of off loading the bike and getting ready to ride in double time(hurry before a bus shows up ) The moment finally came, I was riding! The weather was perfect, sunny and 81. The trail had a lot of twists and turns necessitating stopping. often to read the directions so I did not set any speed record. I did travel 75 miles with a little climbing on the coastal range. I found fellow riders to be unfriendly, would not acknowledge a "hi, hows it going?" The drivers were about like the ones at home...occasional unpleasant screaming or hand signals. I was happy when I met Elise at our rendevous spot and could relax and breathe a sigh of relief. Tomorrow she will take me back out to where I left off to continue toward the Sierras.

2 comments:

  1. i was told once that in larger cities the cyclist are not unfriendly its just if they stopped and waved at every cyclist they would be doing it all day long. hope you have some safe travels and its great to see pictures and read about your adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only thing I can think of saying is, "I am so envious."

    ReplyDelete